Marijuana edibles are a popular alternative to smoking weed and provide a whole body experience!
Chronic Kitchen is all about infusing food with cannabis. Usually when you think of edibles, brownies usually spring to mind, but now edibles come in many shapes and sizes.
For many people, edibles are often a preferred method for ingesting cannabis because they can be discreetly consumed in places where smoking is not allowed. Unlike smoking cannabis, where cannabinoids enter the body through the lungs, edibles introduce cannabinoids through the gastrointestinal tract. The result is a high that is more intense and lasts much longer; however on the other hand, the effects of edibles can be hard to predict and tend to differ between individuals.
So before sinking your teeth into edibles, let’s get to know some of the facts:
- The high that accompanies edibles tends to be more relaxing than the high experienced through smoking, giving you more of a “body” high rather than a “head” high
- Rich and dense products such as brownies or chocolate also take longer to digest, which means it will take longer for you to feel the effects. On the other hand, infused drinks and tinctures begin to work much faster
- Weight, metabolism, gender, and eating habits also play a role in how fast you’ll feel the effect from edibles. It is recommended that edibles be taken with food for first time or light users
- Though not recommended for beginners, eating cannabis edibles on an empty stomach can speed up the time it takes to feel any effects and could heighten the experience overall
- Cannabis infused products can take 30 minutes to over 2 hours to take effect, however, the effects can last between 4 to 12 hours depending on the dose
- Be mindful of potency and suggested serving sizes
- Start small and then work your way up over time!
We recommend beginners start with a 10mg THC dose per serving, and don’t make the rookie mistake by eating any more for the rest of the day / evening. If it doesn’t produce the desired effect, try 15 – 20mg the next time. (The Gummy Bears are a perfect way to control how much you consume as a beginner as they are 6mg each)
Consuming too much is rarely a pleasant experience. In fact, eating less may give you a better buzz than eating too much. If you feel like you’ve gone overboard on edibles, don’t panic. Remember, symptoms usually subside within a few hours. Stay calm, keep hydrated and have something to eat.
We would love to hear from you! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask…